About 1,500 Cambodian traders framed with “The Cambodian Association for Economy Development” planned to conduct a “peaceful” rally towards Thailand from June 1-7 to try persuade the authorities to open the border of Aranyaprathet district, Sa Kaeo to facilitate normal market trading at Talat Rong Klua.
The COVID-19 pandemic has undeniably disrupted most businesses across all types of industries, with a significant hit to the tourism and travel sector. Countries are practising different methods of control in an attempt to monitor and minimise the spread of the pandemic, whereby lockdowns and movement controls are mostly favoured. This action has put a pause to the global tourism sector because peoples’ movements are now restricted.
In Cambodia, 2,865 tourism businesses were stated as either suspended or closed. It is devastating to Cambodia’s economy because the tourism sector is among the key industries, alongside the garment and footwear sectors, which accounts for 80 per cent of the country’s exports. New Straits Times reports that Cambodia’s tourism sector contributes to 12.1 per cent of the country’s gross domestic product growth and employs up to 630,000 people. Workers involved in the Cambodian tourism sector will panic because of fear of unemployment, negatively affecting the economy and society, unless addressed immediately.
However, despite the closure of businesses in the tourism sector, in the second week of March, more than 190,000 Cambodian and international tourists were recorded visiting resorts and tourist sites in Cambodia. A clear sign, despite the inability of travelling beyond borders, people are still adamant about travelling. The question is, “Is it safe and sustainable?” Travelling is possible if each stakeholder is responsible. Tourists, local communities and every part of the tourism value chain have to play their roles in ensuring that public health is given priority, as advised by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).
Businesses such as hotels, guest houses, resorts, massage and spas, restaurants other tourism-related businesses can share their recommendations in order for the ministry to define the scale of the impact and come up with solutions after the crisis ends, said the ministry
Called ‘Runner’s Voice’, it is a digital storytelling project where Cambodian runners tell about their experiences on the track. The project was launched a few days ago and will conclude in December 2020.
A source with knowledge of the project said work on it is almost complete and they are looking at holding a soft opening in the next few weeks.
According to him, it is only the LED system at the track which needs to be finished.
One of the best places to visit is the Lam Da Beach, Koh Kong as you can spend some time amidst sea, sand and serenity. The long stretch of the golden beach shining in the warm rays of the sum makes it a favorite tourist sports for young and old alike. The global travelers can find traces of almost every natural element if they come to the province of Koh Kong.
Public Shooting Range large shooting range is distance of 25 meters with a capacity that will fit more than 20 people to shoot all at once. A technical will be present to instruct you at all times, so even a group of first timers, women or elderly may enjoy a safe and a pleasant shooting. And for serious shooters who wish to skill-up their shooting techniques and score-up their shooting ability, a well-trained officer may instruct you individually if requested.
The Royal Palace in Phnom Penh was constructed over a century ago to serve as the residence of the King of Cambodia, his family and foreign dignitaries, as a venue for the performance of court ceremony and ritual and as a symbol of the Kingdom. It serves to this day as the Cambodian home of King Norodom Sihamoni and former King Norodom Sihanouk. The Royal Palace complex and attached ‘Silver Pagoda’ compound consist of several buildings, structures and gardens all located within 500×800 meter walled grounds overlooking a riverfront park. Marking the approach to the Palace, the high sculpted wall and golden spired Chanchhaya Pavilion stand distinctively against the riverfront skyline. Inside the Palace grounds, street sounds are silenced by the high walls and the various Royal buildings sit like ornate islands rising from the tranquil, manicured tropical gardens. Except for the area of the actual Royal residence, the Khemarin Palace, most of the Palace grounds and Silver Pagoda are open to the public. Enter from the gate on Sothearos Blvd about 100 meters north of Street 240. Guide pamphlets and tour guides are available near the admission booth. Guided tours are recommended. Multi-lingual tour guides available. Open everyday, 7:30-11:00 / 2:00-5:00. The Palace grounds are closed during official functions.
History of the Royal Palace
The establishment of the Royal Palace at Phnom Penh in 1866 is a comparatively recent event in the history of the Khmer and Cambodia. The seat of Khmer power in the region rested at or near Angkor north of the Great Tonle Sap Lake from 802 AD until the early 15th century. After the Khmer court moved from Angkor in the 15th century, it first settled in Phnom Penh in 1434 (or 1446) and stayed for some decades, but by 1494 had moved on to Basan, and later Lovek and then Oudong. The capital did not return to Phnom Penh until the 19th century and there is no record or remnants of any Royal Palace in Phnom Penh prior to the 19th century. In 1813, King Ang Chan (1796-1834) constructed Banteay Kev (the ‘Cristal Citadel’) on the site of the current Royal Palace and stayed there very briefly before moving to Oudong. Banteay Kev was burned in 1834 when the retreating Siamese army razed Phnom Penh. It was not until after the implementation of the French Protectorate in Cambodia in 1863 that the capital was moved from Oudong to Phnom Penh, and the current Royal Palace was founded and constructed.
At the time that King Norodom (1860-1904) signed the Treaty of Protection with France in 1863, the capital of Cambodia resided at Oudong, about 45 kilometers northeast of Phnom Penh. Earlier in 1863 a temporary wooden Palace was constructed a bit north of the current Palace site in Phnom Penh. The first Royal Palace to be built at the present location was designed by architect Neak Okhna Tepnimith Mak and constructed by the French Protectorate in 1866. That same year, King Norodom moved the Royal court from Oudong to the new Royal Palace in Phnom Penh and the city became the official capital of Cambodia the following year. Over the next decade several buildings and houses were added, many of which have since been demolished and replaced, including an early Chanchhaya Pavilion and Throne Hall (1870). The Royal court was installed permanently at the new Royal Palace in 1871 and the walls surrounding the grounds were raised in 1873. Many of the buildings of the Royal Palace, particularly of this period, were constructed using traditional Khmer architectural and artistic style but also incorporating significant European features and design as well. One of the most unique surviving structures from this period is the Napoleon Pavilion which was a gift from France in 1876.
King Sisowath (1904-1927) made several major contributions to the current Royal Palace, adding the Phochani Hall in 1907 (inaugurated in 1912), and from 1913-1919 demolishing several old buildings, and replacing and expanding the old Chanchhaya Pavilion and the Throne Hall with the current structures. These buildings employ traditional Khmer artistic style and Angkorian inspired design, particularly in the Throne Hall, though some European elements remain. The next major construction came in the 1930s under King Monivong with the addition of the Royal Chapel, Vihear Suor (1930), and the demolition and replacement of the old Royal residence with the Khemarin Palace (1931), which serves as the Royal residence to this day. The only other significant additions since have been the 1956 addition of the Villa Kantha Bopha to accommodate foreign guests and the 1953 construction of the Damnak Chan originally installed to house the High Council of the Throne.
From the time of the coup in 1970 when Cambodia became a republic, through the Khmer Rouge regime (Democratic Kampuchea 1975-1979) and the communist regime of the 80s, until 1993 when the Monarchy was restored, the Royal Palace alternately served as a museum and was closed. During the Khmer Rouge regime, former King Sihanouk and his family resided and were ultimately held as prisoners in the Palace. In the mid-90s, many of the Palace buildings were restored and refurbished, some with international assistance.